Better Hearing & Speech Month
Read How People Have Celebrating Better Hearing & Speech Month
May is Better Hearing and Speech Month (BHSM) is just around the corner. It is a wonderful time to promote our fields to the public, encourage increased awareness of disabilities and support early detection and foster advancements in the different areas you practice through fundraising.
Here are just some ideas of activities you can engage in during BHSM:
- Volunteer to do hearing screenings in the month of May
- Distribute milestone charts and flyers on the characteristics of different types of disabilities around your work place
- School SLPs can go into the classroom and give a brief talk about what articulation and language mean; stuttering and tolerance; and how the voice works, what vocal abuse means, and how to avoid problems. Children can be encouraged to create posters about communication or something they learned during the presentation
- School SLPs can also partner with teachers and create a theme week for the students focusing on specific language concepts or speech sounds.
- SLP and AUD clinicians can present for their colleagues, parents, etc. about the warning signs of speech and language issues, where to find support, etc.
- SLPs can partner with doctors and ENTs providing them with literature to hand out to raise awareness of the professions and disabilities.
Additional Resources and Materials
Listen to Your Buds - hearing-related literature for SLPs and AUDs to handout
Identify the Signs – list of ideas, resources and handouts for BHSM
American Speech-Language-Hearing Association – video that SLPs can share with related professions to educate on the professional roles
BHSM Door Hanger
Email us about BHSM activities you have done in the past. We would like to post some of the activities and outreach our members are engaging in. Email to email@example.com.
Celebrating Better Hearing & Speech Month
Cindy D'Antonio and Joan Warner give each staff member (teachers, aides, secretaries, lunchroom ladies, custodians) water bottles with info about using our voices correctly especially during allergy season.
This is a bulletin board just put up by the New Beginnings Annex here at Maple Road School, West Milford, NJ Joanie
Mrs. Faella’s Speech Club Students are hosting a series of events:
- Speech Students of the Week
- Create a fortune teller games to reinforce language
- A Power Point will be presented to some grade levels about what student are good at and what students need help. The theme is “No one is Perfect… Everyone needs Help”
- Speech students will talk and interview the nurses about “Taking Care of Your Ears”- see information posted by office
A parent workshop on speech and language issues in the schools, June 15th
2015 New Jersey Speech-Language-Hearing Association | All rights reserved.